Not bringing the majesty of Angkor Wat or Angkor Thom, Sihanoukville conquers tourists by the peaceful beauty of nature. Blue sea, white sand and wild nature reserves explain why many visitors choose Sihanoukville as an ideal destination for their next trip.
What do you know about Sihanoukville?Sihanoukville (or called Kampong Som, Kampong Saom) is a coastal city in the south of Cambodia, at the Gulf of Thailand. 230km far away from Phnom Penh, this city was built to serve as a port city in the late 1950s. But now Sihanoukville is considered a tourist attraction since it meets the demand for a resort of Phnom Penh people and foreign visitors.
|Sihanoukville on the map|
1. Ochheuteal and Serendipty BeachLying in the central area of the city, these two beaches are places having many hotels, restaurants and tourist companies with the busy Western Town and coastal eateries.
|Ochheuteal Beach with a lot of coastal tourism services|
2. Otres BeachNot far away from Ochheuteal Beach, Otres Beach boasts the tranquility with small fishing villages. The beach with fine white sand and clear blue water is ideal for you to sunbathe and swim in.
3. Sokha BeachThis beach belongs to Sokha Beach Resort – the first five-star beach resort in Cambodia. This is the only place having bungalows with sea view. Nice couples and families with children often choose it to enjoy their summer vacation every year.
4. Independence BeachIndependence Beach is next to Sokha Beach. It is named after an old hotel’s in here. This beach is so clean and suitable for tourists to relax in the sunshine.
5. Victoria BeachLocated in the north of Sihanoukville, Victoria Beach is known as the place to have the best view of sunset over the city.
|Admiring the view of sunset over Victoria Beach is a must-try experience|
Some islands near SihanoukvilleThere are over 10 islands off the shore of Sihanoukville. Below are 3 islands appreciated by tourists due to their pristine beauty as well as tourism services.
1. Koh RongThere is no need to say much about this island since it is dubbed a tropical paradise in Southeast Asia.
|Koh Rong Island - the beauty of a tropical paradise in Sihanoukville|
2. Koh Rong SaloemSituated in the south, this island is smaller than Koh Rong. It is favored by the serenity and quiet which other islands don’t have. Cambodians call it “the lazy island” because the only thing you want to do here is nothing but relaxing. Gorgeous coral reefs will stimulate tourists to dive and snorkel to admire their beauty.
3. Koh TangIt takes several hours to travel by yacht from Sihanoukville to Koh Tang. Although it is being exploited for tourism purposes, Koh Tang still remains pristine.
|Koh Tang Beach with the diverse marine ecosystem|
Ream National ParkOne of the most attractive destinations in Sihanoukville is Ream National Park. 18km north of Sihanoukville, this park spreads over 21,000 hectares.
|A small part of Ream National Park in Sihanoukville|